Outback Graves Markers

John Henry ABUD (more)

Cause of Death: Enteric Fever, Tomaemia

Albert Abud was born 31 May 1870 in Richmond, Victoria. His wife was born in 1881. They married in Kanowna in 1901 and over the next 14 years, they grew their family of 6 children. They were: Clara born Bulong 1903; Alexander Victor born Bulong 1905; Gertrude Eva born 1906; John Henry born Leonora 1910; Annie Miriam E born Leonora 1912; Frances Evelyn born Leonora 1914. The deceased child was known to the family as "Jacky".

Pierina ALBERTANI (more)

Cause of Death: Influenza, Broncho Pneumonia

Mrs Albertani left an estate valued at £891 4s. 11d to her husband, Gotardo. She is buried in the Roman Catholic portion of the Leonora Cemetery, plot number 138.

In May 1919, an Italian miner called Luigi Morelli, contracted broncho pneumonia influenza and died within six days. Eight more cases were diagnosed in rapid succession. The Public Health Board placed Gwalia and Leonora under quarantine. The town was isolated from its nearest town, Malcolm, and all occupants, including visitors, were confined, with passenger traffic by road and rail blocked. A fine was instituted from £5 – £30 for people going beyond the 3 mile limit. Mrs Albertani was one of those who died in this epidemic.

Marinoni ANGELO (more)

Cause of Death: Lobar Pneumonia

Peter BARTAI (more)

Cause of Death: Fall of Earth

Surname has been reported as Berlia, Barlai, Berlai, Bartai. The deceased was engaged in shovelling at the No. 7 level of the Sons of Gwalia Gold mine, when a flake of diorite weighing some hundredweights slipped from the wall. The unfortunate young man received the full force of the fall and was killed instantly. The young man left an estate valued at £6 10s to James Henry Marks, attorney under power of Alberto Berlai

John Joseph BENNETT (more)

Cause of Death: Burns Causing Epileptic Fit

Alfred Augustine Bennett, father of the deceased child, was born in Matlock, Victoria, in 1880. He married Bridget O'Connor on 9 August 1909 at Kalgoorlie. She was born 3 January 1876 at Dooncaha, Tarbert, Kerry, Ireland. She left London on 2 February 1900 with her brother. Other children born to this couple were: Twins Constance Frances and Mary Teresa, born 5 June 1910; Henry James born 1912 at Mt Margaret; Alfred Augustine born 16 August 1915 at Leonora. Bridget died on 4 August 1971 at Merredin. Her husband, who pre-deceased her, died 21 September 1945 at Southern Cross.

Augusto Camillo BETTINI (more)

Cause of Death: Acute Enlargement of Liver

Other children in this family included: Aristea born 1911 (Birth Registration 125/1911, Mt Margaret); Raimondo G born 1913 (Birth Registration 24/1913, Mt Margaret); Gina C born 1916 (Birth Registration 73/1916, Mt Margaret); Silvio Peppino born 1920 (Birth Registration 9/1920, Mt Margaret).

The little boy was buried in Plot 109 of the Roman Catholic portion of the Leonora Cemetery.

George BIGBY (more)

Cause of Death: Morbus Cordis

The deceased died from heart disease. He is buried in the Roman Catholic portion of the Leonora Cemetery, Plot number 45.

Kathleen Douglas BLENCOWE (more)

Cause of Death: Enteric Fever

Known as Katie. Katie had lived in Victoria for 34 years before moving to Western Australia.

Giovanni Raimondo BONFANTI (more)

Cause of Death: Fracture of the spine

Known as Jack. The cage went out of control and fell 2000ft to the bottom of the shaft on the 22nd May 1911. Bonfanti survived but died five months later due to a fracture of the spine, paralytic debility, and septic condition. Three others were killed in the same accident and seven others injured. On 22 May 1911, an appalling accident occurred at the Sons of' Gwalia mine. One man was killed and nine others seriously injured. Whilst the 8 o'clock shift was going on, ten men got into the skip at the surface to proceed below, when they suddenly descended with great velocity, the engine having got out of the control of the driver. The skip and the unfortunate occupants dashed to the bottom, a distance of over 2000 feet. The cable parted from the drum of the winder and when the full length had run out, went to the bottom on the top of the skip and the men. The noise of the crash attracted the mine officials and no time was lost in ascertaining the fate of the unfortunate men. It was found that Frank G. Rooney, assistant surveyor, was killed outright. Phillip Adams, mine surveyor, was terribly injured and was not expected to recover. Harold Sharp was injured internally and was also in a critical condition. Vehicles were obtained to convey the injured men to the hospital and Drs. Cantor and Cameron were called to the scene of the accident. The latter proceeded to the bottom of the shaft and rendered first aid preparatory to the men being hauled to the surface. The eight sufferers were conveyed to the Leonora Hospital immediately. It was reported on 20 October 1911, that Jack Bonfanti, one of the unfortunate victims of the ship accident at the Sons of Gwalia, was still lingering in periodical agony at the Leonora Hospital. Described as a fine stalwart man on the 22nd of May, Jack was reduced to a shadow and his demise was merely a question of time. Being a single man without dependants, there was no value placed upon his life under the Workmen's Compensation Act. To that date, he had not received a farthing from the company and in the inevitability of being relieved by death, probably no liability would exist, even to the extent of burial expenses. It was reported that £50 apiece had been offered to the other four victims, two of whom had visible permanent injuries. Ragolini had one leg several inches shorter than the other, and Tognolini received spinal injuries, apparently of a permanent nature. The final act in the skip tragedy of May that year was enacted when Bonfanti, the unfortunate Italian fourth victim, died after lying for five months in the local hospital with no possible chance of recovery. Of the ten men who were in the bolting skip, four had already died, two had resumed work and the remaining four could be seen at Gwalia crippled up for the remainder of their days, unable to work, burdens to themselves and friends, with very little if any assistance from the industry they helped to develop and prosper.

Luigi Pasquale BONOMI (more)

Cause of Death: Post-operative Cardiac Failure

Luigi's parents were married in Tresivio, Sondrio, Italy, in 1868. The marriage produced 7 children, 2 boys and 5 girls, of which Luigi was the first born. The deceased left an estate valued at £6 to James Bonomi.

John Joseph BOWEN (more)

Cause of Death: Phthisis and pneumonia

The deceased was the first chemist to practice his profession in Leonora. Some time before his death, the deceased was admitted to the local hospital suffering from a very severe attack of pneumonia, the effects of which appeared to have left him in a very week state. During his sojourn in there, he made many friends, who deeply regret his death. John Joseph Bowen senior was born in 1841 in Launceston, Tasmania. IN 1868, he married Catherine Agnes Hanrahan in Victoria. The marriage produced 14 children of which John Joseph junior was the second eldest among seven boys and seven girls. They were: Frederick Henry born 1868; Catherine Agnes born and died 1871; Thomas Francis born 1872; James Francis born 1873; Mary Ann Amelia born 1874; Ellen Teresa born 1876; Dorothy Agnes born 1877; Thomas William born and died 1878; Margaret Jane born and died 1880; Alice Maud born 1881, died 1882; Clara Jane born 1883, died 1884; Charles George born 1885, died 1901; Alfred Thomas born 1887. Their father died 15 March 1900 at Eaglehawk, Victoria, their mother in 1915 at Coburg, Victoria.

Grace Margaret BOYD (more)

Cause of Death: Ulcerative Colitis

Ellen Margaret Foley and David Boyd were married in 1902 in Perth. Grace was their first child, followed by Francis born 1907; Veronica Mary born 1909; Austin born 1911. Ellen was born in New South Wales in 1873 and died there in 1958. Her husband was born in 1973 in South Australia and he died in Nowra, New South Wales in 1911. Little Grace Margaret is buried in the Roman Catholic portion of the Leonora Cemetery, plot number 54.

Louisa Jane BRADSTREET (more)

Cause of Death: Anaemia, Haemorrhage Post-Partum

According to the family records, John Hill was born about 1837 in Sweden. His wife, Lucy, was born about 1843 in Limerick, Ireland. They married in 1832 in Bristol, Gloucestershire, England. Louisa Jane was about the fourth child to be born into the family of at least 8. After Louisa and John Ernest Bradstreet were married in Kalgoorlie in 1901, they spent most of their time in Kookynie, where Mr Bradstreet was a butcher, before moving up to Leonora to pursue his trade. With four healthy children, Mrs Bradstreet was carrying their fifth child when she succumbed to complications of childbirth which also resulted in the child being stillborn. She had lived in New South Wales for 19 years before arriving in Western Australia.

Unnamed BRADSTREET (more)

Cause of Death:

The child died as a result of complications of childbirth for the mother, who died the same day of anaemia and haemorrhaging post-partum. It has been assumed that the child is buried with the mother in the Roman Catholic portion of the Leonora Cemetery, plot number 93.

William Alfred BURKE (more)

Cause of Death: Fell Down a Shaft

Mr Burke fell 100ft down a shaft after falling from the ladder in the shaft of the Central Gwalia GM. The inquest concerning the death of William Alfred Burke, who was killed at the Gwalia Consolidated Gold Mine, was held at the Leonora Courthouse on the morning of 14 August. Dr,. Cameron gave evidence as to the cause of death. The deceased had a very bad fracture of the skull, which was quite sufficient to have caused instant death and his neck was also dislocated. Evidence was also taken from Robert William Berry, Harry Tedge, and Benjamin Rowe, all of whom were working at the shaft with the deceased. The whole of the evidence tended to show that the deceased at the time of the accident was descending the shaft by the ladder and must have slipped shortly after leaving the surface. The ladders used were good, with plenty of foothold and the requirements of the Mines Regulation Act were carried out on the mine. He had descended the shaft in which the accident occurred, by the ladder on different occasions and was of the opinion that the ladders were perfectly safe. The jury, after a retirement of a few minutes, brought in a verdict of accidental death, no blame being attachable to anyone. The deceased lived in New South Wales for 21 years before arriving in Western Australia.