Location: - Shire. City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder
Coordinates: 30.4197 121.3492
Direction - 643 km from Perth, 48 km NNW of Kalgoorlie, between Kalgoorlie and Menzies along the Goldfields Highway.
There are 2 cemeteries located at Bardoc - the first of which was closed after it was considered to be too close to the town site which held only four burials. The second cemetery of 5 acres is roughly divided into two areas, Catholic and Anglican, but it has not been possible to accurately locate which is where, as even though the religion of the presiding minister is known that does not necessarily denote the religion of the deceased as the minister available at the time would preside.
In August 2019 local historians and mining companies got together and restored three separate areas and preserved the graves in each location. (See Interesting Information below)
Number of graves - 27
First burial - 20 April 1896, Alfred Prest aged 22 died from fever and pneumonia
Last burial - 5 January 1917 George Snowden, a miner prospector aged 61 died from heart disease.
|Age at Death||
|Cause of death||
Alluvial gold was found at Bardoc in mid-1894
Alluvial gold was first discovered in the area in 1894 by Alf MacDonald and Billy Cross and several rich reefs were discovered. By October 1895 most of the alluvial had cut out around Bardoc but about 400 men were working on the five distinct lines of lode found by then.
The town was surveyed and 40 townsite gazetted on 3 June 1896. The town’s name is Aboriginal in origin and is taken from a hill close to town. Although the meaning of the name is not known, the word bar-dook or barduk means "near" or "close" in some Aboriginal dialects
Some of the mines that were operating in the area included Zoroastrian, Excelsior and Wycheproof.
In 1896 a telegraph line was established and four hotels were known to be open in town. More gold deposits were found particularly at the Mount Eva and neighbouring The Australian leases which were described to have stone that exceeds the richness of anything stuck so far in Bardoc. Parcels of ore were being sent to the Mount Burgess battery for treatment. The first game of football was played in May between Bardoc and a team picked from the Government survey camp. Bardoc won, ten-nil. With a Progress Committee to help it and rich reefs to support it Bardoc grew rapidly.
On November 1897 the Police took delivery of the newly completed station on town Lots 99 & 100.The station was closed in July 1908, and the station and quarters handed over to the Public Works in October 1908. The cells and stables were moved to Westonia in September 1914.
In 1898 a coach service to Kalgoorlie was running three times a week and the population of the town was 206 (170 males and 36 females).
In 1900 the area had received good rainfall and had abundant herbage on the ground. A 10-head Stamp mill was being constructed at the Zoroastrian mine in the same year. A crushing plant at the Nerrin Nerrin mine which was open, available for public crushing and a 20 head mill was in action of the Excelsior lease about 5 miles north of the town.
By 1908 no mines were in operation and the town was effectively deserted.
The Government provided water and built solid public buildings and a railway station.
A drought hit the area over 1911 causing further hindrance to mining. A petition was submitted to extend the branch pipeline from the Goldfields Water Scheme later the same year. The plan was to extend the line to Ora Banda via Bardoc and Broad Arrow.
Bardoc Football Team 1904
Bardoc School 1901
Bardoc Cemetery – a revival
On Friday 16th August 2019 a ceremony was held at the Bardoc Cemetery on Mt Vetters Station to thank all those who had over the past three years assisted in restoring the old cemeteries. During those years the area had been securely fenced, those buried there had been identified and been listed on a notice board and the existing headstones had been restored and preserved. Outback Grave Markers provided plaques for those graves without headstones. For the full story see Outbackfamilyhistory, Bardoc blog.
Outback Family History