Outback Graves Markers

Domenico BALZARINI (more)

Cause of Death: Killed in an Explosion

Balzarini and another Italian miner named Peter Borlini, whose story also appears in this website, were killed when firing out a winze on the Youanmi Mine. The deceased left an estate valued at £137 8s. 7d to Harold Wentwcrth Dillon Shallard.

Thomas Henry BANTOW (more)

Cause of Death: Mining Accident

Deceased and a man named Thomas Grayson Bowen, were cleaning out the pit underneath the stone cracker, when Bantow was caught by the iron buckets of the conveyor, which carries the cracked stone to a large bin some 40 feet above. He was dragged underneath the pulley wheel fastening. Bowen at once threw the machinery out of gear. He gave the alarm and several other employees hurried to the spot to release the unfortunate man. Bantow, who had received serious injuries to the back of his head and his spine was broken. He was conscious when removed to the hospital, where he was attended by Dr Bateman. He lingered until one o'clock the following morning. At an inquest held subsequently, the jury returned a verdict of accidental death.

John Joseph BASSULA (more)

Cause of Death: 70 foot Fall

Known as Jack or John. A verdict of accidental death was returned at the inquest of John Joseph Bassula, who was killed almost instantly when he fell over ninety feet down a well he was sinking for the Goldfields Water Supply Department at Youanmi. At the time of his death, the deceased was residing at Meekatharra. His brothers were listed as being Frank, Dick, George and Bill.

Alberto BELINGHERI (more)

Cause of Death: Pneumonia, Influenza

Known as Albert.

An epidemic of influenza at Youanmi was declared to be pneumonic influenza by Dr Clarke, of Cue, who visited on 13 August 1919. Alberto was the first of three to died in the isolation unit at the hospital. The others were Guiseppe Bonomi and William James Palmer. All of them had been suffering from miner's complaint, which rendered them less able to resist the strain of influenza.

Frank Leear BOLGER (more)

Cause of Death: World War I Wound

'A wound in the heart from a piece of shrapnel', which he received in the war over twenty years before, is said to have been the cause of the death of Frank Bolger.

He had been an inmate of the hospital for five weeks and was the owner of Bo-Peep Station, situated about sixty miles north of Sandstone. An ex-service man, the deceased was formerly a member of the Kalgoorlie Sub-Branch of the Returned Soldiers' League. He is believed to have had no relatives living and died intestate.

Frank enlisted in the Australian Imperial Forces at Helena Vale, Western Australia, on 18 November 1914. At the time, he was 35 years and 6 months of age. He was 5 feet 10 inches tall and had a scar two inches long on the crown of his head. He was of dark complexion, with grey eyes and black hair. He received a bullet in the chest on 30 August 1915 at Gallipoli and was sent to Malta for hospitalisation before eventually embarking for Australia at Suez in April 1916. The wound was referred to as a 'bullet to the chest' and also as 'shrapnel to the left lung'. The last Imperial communication was in October 1924 to him at an address in Wiluna.

Frank's parents were married in 1863 in Victoria (Marriage Registration 3241/1863). Their children included: Alfred Leear born 1864; Julia Mary born 1868; Henry Leear born 1870; Laura born 1873; Beatrice Mary born 1876; Frank Leear born 1878. The story of Henry Leear also appears in this website.

Giuseppe BONOMI (more)

Cause of Death: Pneumonic influenza

Known as Joe.

An epidemic of influenza at Youanmi was declared to be pneumonic influenza by Dr Clarke, of Cue, who visited on 13 August 1919. Alberto Belingheri was the first of three to died in the isolation unit at the hospital. The others were Giuseppe Bonomi and William James Palmer. All of them had been suffering from miner's complaint, which rendered them less able to resist the strain of influenza. The story of each of these gentlemen is told in this website.

Pietro Paolo BORLINI (more)

Cause of Death: Killed in an Explosion

Known as Peter. Two Italian miners were killed whilst firing out a winze on the Youanmi mine. They were Dominico (Domenic) Balzarini and Pietro (Peter) Borlini (printed in the press as Bortini). Both of these gentlemen are represented in this website. The deceased left an estate valued at £80 to his fellow countryman, Pietro Garbellini.

James BOYLE (more)

Cause of Death: Septic Poisoning

The deceased was possibly the James Boyle who was appointed to be a member of the Youanmi Local Board of Health in April 1916 - although this has not been confirmed.

John BRADFORD (more)

Cause of Death:

The child is buried in Plot 44 of the Anglican Section of the Youanmi Cemetery.

Edward W CARROLL (more)

Cause of Death:

The deceased gentleman is buried in Plot 16 of the Roman Catholic section of the Youanmi Cemetery. He was possibly Irish but this has not been confirmed.

Cornelius CLARK (more)

Cause of Death: Unknown

Also known as Neil Clarke.

The deceased was found dead by the caretaker of the State Battery, James Boyle. The body was lying on a wire stretcher, partially clothed, the head on the pillows and the arms loosely folded as in the attitude of sleep. No marks of violence were found on the body and there were no suspicious circumstances. Ten days later, it was reported in the same newspaper that "... the correct name of Neil Clarke, who was found dead at Youanmi on 19th inst., as reported in Thursday's issue, was Cornelius Clerk.

He was born at Uddington, Lanarkshire, Scotland, on November 9th, 1864, and prior to coming to Youanmi, he resided in Suffolk-street, Fremantle. The deceased was buried at Youanmi cemetery on July 2lst.

The parents of the deceased were married at Bothwell on 25th November 1859. Their other children were: John born 1860 (died 1864); Janet born 1861; William born 1863; Cornelius born 1864; John born 1866; Elizabeth born 1871.

James CLARKE (more)

Cause of Death: Fell Down a Mullock Pass

James Clarke and Sebastiano Pinselli had to attend to a water pump at the No 4 level (400 feet). At about 6 pm he attempted to go down to the No 6 level through a mullock pass instead of the ladder way, at the same time advising his mate to use the ladder as the pass was very slippery. Pinselli followed the advice and Clarke started to descend by means of the pass. When Pinselli arrived al the No 6 level, he could not see Clarke. He then came to the surface and notified Mr A. Long, the underground manager, who went down the shaft accompanied by two shift bosses. On reaching the 600 feet level, they went up to the mullock chute and there found the body of James Clarke embedded in mullock from the head to the waist. Attempts to extricate the body, which, naturally was lifeless, failed until further assistance was secured and it was then brought to the surface. The inquiry into Clarke's death was opened on the Sunday afternoon, when the jury examined the body before burial, and the inquest was adjourned until the following Wednesday evening. At the reconvening of the inquest, Dr. Stenning, medical officer, sworn, stated he held a post mortem examination on J. Clarke and found that the base of the skull was fractured and the neck was broken, also slight abrasions on the shoulders. The organs of the body were sound with the exception of the lungs, which were badly pitted with miners' phthisis and the right lung was tubercular. The injuries he found were consistent with what he would expect being caused by a fall. A verdict of accidental death, with no blame attachable to anyone, was recorded by the Jury.

Mabel Elizabeth CONNABEER (more)

Cause of Death: Consumption

Known as May. Little is known of the deceased's life other than she had suffered from consumption for six months prior to her death. However, according to the newspaper death notice, Mabel had had two children, Alice and Robert. This is confirmed in the Metropolitan Cemeteries online listing showing that Alice died in Perth in 1979 aged 86 years and that she was the grantee of her brother, Robert's burial in 1964, aged 64 years, in the Roman Catholic section of Karrakatta Cemetery. Both were living in South Perth at their mother's house at the time of their death and their mother's death. It is assumed, but there is no confirmation, that these two siblings had the same father.

Adolf CRAVINO (more)

Cause of Death: Heart Failure

Adolf died suddenly whilst working in an open cut at the Youanmi Gold Mine. The deceased was the youngest of three children born to Frenchman, Ernest Jules, who was born in Paris in 1832. Ernest arrived in Port Phillip Bay on 5 April 1856 and married Caroline MacNartney, born 1837 in Clare, Ireland, on 8 August 1863 at Ballarat (Marriage Registration 2749/1863). Their first son, John O'Heir was born 7 May 1861 in Geelong and a daughter, Caroline, arrived in 1864 in Buninyong, near Ballarat. Two years after the birth of Adolphe, in 1866, in December 1868, Adolphe's mother, Caroline, died, and his father, Ernest, married Mary Baxter in 1868 (Marriage Registration 1845/1868, Victoria).

Lindsay Campbell CRAWFORD (more)

Cause of Death: Burned to Death in His Camp

Known as Len. Lindsay Crawford was burned to death in his camp at Younami. He slept in a camp which was enclosed by a bush shed. Crawford's camp was found in flames but it was impossible to rescue him. His charred body was afterwards found on the ruins of the bed. The deceased was in the habit of reading in bed with a lamp on one side and a candle on the other. It is expected that one of these was accidentally overturned and in this way the camp was fired. Only a few weeks previously, the deceased had a narrow escape from being burnt to death in the same way. The late Mr Crawford lived in the Laverton district for a considerable time up to about five years before his death, when he left and went to Youanmi, where he was employed as sampler on a mine. The deceased was the discoverer of "Crawford's Patch," about three miles from Laverton, from which he won a large quantity of gold. Included in it were many beautiful specimens. He found the patch in 1895. Subsequently, he was one of the party that discovered the Augusta Gold Mine, Laverton, on which there was a new plant being installed at the time of his death. Crawford was the tenth of 14 children born to a Scottish couple who married 15 June 1847 at Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and whose first four children were born in Scotland before the family migrated to South Australia. The deceased's siblings were: Jessie Milroy born 1848; John born 1849; Annie Harkness born 1850; Marion Whigham born 1852; William Milroy born 26 September 1854; Margaret born 14 July 1856; Thomas Angus born 14 July 1858; Robert Lindsay born 15 June 1860; stillborn female 1862; Evangeline Amelia born 1865; Flora Maude born 8 May 1868; Arabella Robina born 1869; Wycliffe Wallace born 29 January 1873. The patriarch of the family, William Milroy, died on 8 February 1899 in South Australia, his wife on 20 September 1904.