Leathart's remains were discovered in the bush between Woolgar and Comet Vale, in the Menzies Shire.
At the inquest which followed the discovery, the evidence disclosed that a document had been found on the deceased with the name of John Dickenson Leathart upon it and that among the contents of a swag had been discovered a bank-book on the Savings Bank, Mt Magnet, in the same name. Other documents were found, one of which showed that John Dickenson Leathart had been for 19 years in the public supply department, South Australia, and retired in 1802 owing to having reached the age of 60.
John Dickinson Leathart came to Australia between the birth of his second and third child some time between 1862 and 1874. By 1874, he was in North Adelaide and in 1876 in Walkerville, South Australia, for the birth of his fourth, fifth and sixth children. In 1883, he was a storeman in South Australia.
John's wife, Lucy, remarried in South Australia on 7 October 1903, to James Fry (Marriage Registration 217/80, Clare). Lucy died 13 February 1929 at Hutchinson Hospital, Gawler, South Australia.