Outback Graves Markers

William James ASHTON (more)

Cause of Death: Senile Decay

The informant of his death was Police Constable Michael O'Halloran (Regimental No 52) of Roebourne. The newspaper published a notice from the Curator of Estates informing that he had possession of the assets of William James Ashton of Marble Bar and any claims against same were to be directed to him.

William BASSETT (more)

Cause of Death: Heart Disease; Dropped dead

Known as Billy; Employed by Mr T R Byass; known in the district for the last twenty years

Ludwig BROCKMAN (more)

Cause of Death: Drowned in Flood Waters

It appeared the deceased was in town on Christmas Day enjoying himself. He left in the evening to return home but had to swim the creek, which was in flood due to heavy rains. After crossing the first channel with safety, he landed on a bank but commencing to walk, fell into the water again. The current was very strong and washed him 100 yards downstream, where he collided with a tree and sank. The matter was reported to the police but they could not search until the next day, when the body, in a decomposed state, was found a mile from where Brockman had entered the stream. An inquest was held at Bamboo Creek and, after a good deal of evidence had been taken, the jury returned the following verdict: "We find that Ludwig Brockman met his death whilst attempting to cross Bamboo creek in flood."

Thomas COLLINS (more)

Cause of Death: Heart Disease

The deceased was buried by Christopher Coppin and Sons. There were over 100 people present at the funeral. The informant of his death was Police Constable Hugh Hattie (Regimental No 117), of Bamboo Creek. Ernest Catliff reported to the Bamboo Creek Police Station that Thomas Collins was dead. Apparently he was under Dr Hicks' care in the Roebourne Hospital, suffering from heart disease between 24 February 1892 and April 1892. On leaving the hospital, Dr Catliff had cautioned him against excessive drinking.

Timothy CROWLEY (more)

Cause of Death: Natural Causes

The deceased was buried in an unmarked grave in the Bamboo Creek cemetery by Police Constable Arthur Edward Beard (Regimental Number 1543), of Marble Bar.  Witnesses present at the burial were Donald Ryan and LA Thompson.

In 1915, Tim Crowley was at the box straightening the stamps at the Marble Bar Battery when the chain sling slipped and the full weight went on two fingers of each of his hands, immediately severing some of the fingers.  He remained a battery hand until he died.

An advertisement appeared in the Sunday Times, 25 April 1937, asking for information on the whereabouts of Tim Crowley, a brother of Patrick Crowley, deceased, late of Green-street, South Melbourne, Victoria. The notice was submitted by The Trustees Executors and Agency Company Limited, 412 Collins-street, Melbourne, Victoria.

Ernest Henry Penkith FAIRHURST (more)

Cause of Death: Inflammation of Liver & Kidneys

Witnesses present at the burial were Henry Briden and Edward Bryant. The deceased was, at one time, resident in Roebourne, but afterwards removed to Bamboo Creek. At the time of his death, he was employed by Mr. A. E. A. Haste, in the capacity of bookkeeper. He took ill on Saturday 8 February and succumbed to inflammation of the liver and kidneys at 3 o'clock on Wednesday 12 February. There was little written about Fairhurst's death in the local newspapers but in Victoria there was a family mourning for him. A succession of "In Memoriam" notices were placed in the papers by his grieving parents and sisters for the next 20 years. By 1896, Bamboo Creek had become a bustling place, with some quite substantial local stone buildings, including two hotels and boarding houses to billet the huge influx of miners.

Six siblings of Ernest Henry have been identified.  They were Emily born 1853, Richmond, Victoria (Birth Registration 163/1853, Richmond); Mary Jane born 1855, Richmond (Birth Registration 10150/1855, Richmond); Frank James born 1857, Richmond (Birth Registration 9564/1857, Richmond; died 16 December 1879, aged 22 years); Arthur John born 1862, died 17 July 1879; Horace Hatton born 1866, Fitzroy (Birth Registration 20666/1866; died 1875); Ethel Maud born 1869, Brunswick (Birth Registration 20850/1869, Brunswick).

Tom Alexander GARLICK (more)

Cause of Death: Consumption

Also known as Allen Treveny GARLICK.

Alan T Garlick and George Herbert Quick, partners in the Bohemian lease, Coongan River. Transfers to Alexander Frederick Pead, Thomas Walters, Henry Jenkins.

The deceased was buried by the Police and Walter Kingsmill.  The informant of his death was Sergeant William Carroll (Regimental No 389), of Roebourne.  Garlick had been ailing for some time with rheumatic gout, a cold finally settling on his lungs. 

Although born in England, he was brought up in Adelaide, where his father was a well-known architect. On leaving St Peter's College in Adelaide, he went to sea for a couple of years and afterwards went surveying in South Australia and the Northern Territory. In October 1885, he went to the Kimberley, subsequently migrating to the North-West goldfields, where he ultimately joined George Quick in the Patent Log and Bohemian Leases.  He sold out of these in December 1892 and left the fields, returning in March or April when he took up the Grecian Bend and afterwards, bought into his old claims.  He was well known to the many South Australian residents on the field and his unexpected, though hardly sudden death, came as a great shock to his friends. 

John GILROY (more)

Cause of Death: Lightning Strike

John Gilroy, was struck dead by lightning whilst taking a cup of tea in his camp, situated at the Bulletin Block claim. Death was instantaneous. His mates had just left the camp a few minutes. It appears that two men named John Gilroy and George Loy were together in their tent on the 6th February. After supper the latter went over to a mine to assist some men out of a shaft in which they were working. A heavy thunderclap and a vivid flash of lightning occurred and when he returned to the tent, he found Gilroy on the ground, face upwards, quite dead. The pole of the tent was split and a large mirror, which was intact when Loy left, was smashed to atoms and scattered about the place. There were two red marks on the deceased's right side, one the size of a penny-piece and the other smaller. Gilroy's dog was also dead in the tent. No inquest was held.

The deceased had a brother on the field.  He had lived in Queensland, New South Wales and Western Australia for about 12 years in all.

William GRAY (more)

Cause of Death: Fever

The informant of his death was Thomas Robert Byass, mine owner, Bamboo Creek. At the time, the Byass Brothers leased a number of mines at Bamboo Creek and had a very substantial local stone home on the Bulletin lease.

Samuel Burrows HAFFORD (more)

Cause of Death: Dropsy

Known as "Old Sam" His death was certified in writing by William Cumming, mine manager, Bamboo Creek. The burial service was read by George Jackson. A much respected resident and prospector of Bamboo Creek, Hafford had been ill for about a month, although he did not suffer acutely. He was quite conscious to within a few minutes of his death and passed away quietly at half past eight in the morning in the presence of George Walker and a few friends who had gathered round. That evening, he was buried in the local cemetery with a large number of residents attending the funeral. A pioneer on the west coast of New Zealand, he had been in Victoria in the early days of Ballarat and also in the other mining centres there. He had lived in Queensland for 12 years. He was connected with several mines and diggings in New Zealand, as featured in the newspapers in that country.

William HAYES (more)

Cause of Death: Excessive Heat

The deceased was in charge of a team until his death, having apparently stopped them and got out of the dray. His body was found only a few yards off the track and his team was standing on the road. Police Constable Hugh Hattie (Regimental No 117), of Bamboo Creek, proceeded to the place. On examining the body, he could find no marks of violence or the appearance of a struggle. Hayes, lately employed, by C. Farwig, was found dead on the road to his camp at the Eight-mile creek. He came Into Bamboo Creek with a load of firewood, and then complained of feeling unwell, but started out for his camp, and two hours afterwards, his lifeless body was found a few feet off the road, heat apoplexy being the supposed cause of death. An inquest was heard before Herbert P Pearse, JP, Acting Coroner. John Jardine, a cousin of Hayes, defrayed all costs.

Alexander MCALISTER (more)

Cause of Death: Dropsy

The informant of his death was Police Constable Michael J Cunningham, Roebourne.

John MCCARTHY (more)

Cause of Death: Heat Apoplexy

John McCarthy died from heat apoplexy at the Mt. Prophecy Hotel.

The informant of his death was Herbert Owen Coppin of the Mount Prophesy Hotel, Bamboo Creek.

An inquest on the body was held with Mr. H. P. Pearse, JP, acting as coroner.  It was the first inquest to be held at Bamboo Creek. 

There were two hotels in Bamboo Creek at the time.

John Stephen METCALF (more)

Cause of Death: Accidental Bullet Wound

The deceased was buried by EW Atkins and RG Stubbs (Anglican). Witnesses to the burial were Corporal James Strapp (Police Regimental No 152) and V Rowbottom. His wife and children were in Victoria at the time of his death. Metcalf was engaged on the work of erecting the State Battery and was examining a Colt automatic pistol with Rowbottom and James Saunders, the latter explaining its workings. Thinking all the little nickel bullets had been extracted, Saunders pulled the trigger. All parties were quite sober. Metcalf was standing in front and the bullet passed through his hand, perforating his stomach and spleen before taking a downward course where the bullet lodged in the back of the spine near the kidneys. The Marble Bar doctor was immediately telephoned to relay instructions for treatment of the patient until his arrival. He set out on the 50 mile journey to Bamboo Creek. All efforts to save the unfortunate man's life failed and he died at 3am. He left a sworn statement exonerating Saunders from any blame and the jury at the inquest unanimously took the same view. The deceased was well-known in Geraldton where he was secretary of the Carpenter's and Joiners' Union and was engaged in railway construction work. Saunders took it upon himself to provide for the widow and children.

Joseph RODGERS (more)

Cause of Death: Mining Accident by Dynamite

Buried at the 3-Mile Well near Bamboo Creek. Witnesses present at the burial were Harry Briden and Police Constable Edward James Spry (Regimental No 168). Rodgers and his mate were sinking a Government well, using dynamite. The first charge of dynamite was put down the well but the fuse went out. Rodgers went down the well to put in a second charge but it didn't go off, either. Down the well he went again. But just as he reached the bottom of the well, the charge exploded, killing Rodgers instantly.