Outback Graves Markers

Hilding ABERG (more)

Cause of Death: Mining Accident - Explosion of Dynamite

Alias Joseph Berry.

The deceased was employed on the mine and had charge of a shift. At the inquest, Patrick Dineen deposed that he was a miner working at the No. 2 level in the Vivien Gold Mine and was in the north drive when the accident to Joseph Berry occurred. He and Berry were lighting two holes. "He lit one and it spit and I lit one but it went out again. I went back to light it again and it went out a second time. Berry then went back to spit it and was there till he was shot. I told him twice to come away, that he was stopping there too long. I rang the accident signal and went back to do all I could for Berry. It is not often that a fuse has to be re-lit. I had been working with deceased for about a fortnight and consider he was a very careful man. He was conscious when I first saw him after the accident, and he said the pain was awful and he reckoned he was settled. He was a practical miner and I consider he knew his business."

Richard Russell Frost, Acting District Medical Officer, said that on arrival he saw Joseph Berry and found him suffering from a compound fracture of the right thigh bone and a number of wounds in different parts of the body. He died an hour and a half after his arrival on the mine. In his opinion, the deceased died of shock and haemorrhage.

George Munro, a mine worker at the Vivien, helped the deceased out of the skip after the accident and said that the deceased told him it was his own fault, that he had waited too long.

William Deeble, Inspector of Mines, considered the accident was due to the deceased going back to the charge.

The jury returned a verdict that Hilding Aberg came to his death by an explosion of gelignite at the Vivien Mine, caused through inattention on the part of deceased to the Mines Regulation Act ... and that no blame was attachable to the Management.

The deceased is buried in Plot 17, Section D, Lawlers Cemetery.

Male ALLANAH (more)

Cause of Death: Unknown

Deceased lived in South Australia for 3 years before moving to Western Australia. In October 1906, Allanah was fined $2, in default of which there would be two months' hard labour, for cruelty to camels by working them and putting saddles on them when they had sore backs. Apparently one camel in particular had sores on its back which were discharging pus, were full of maggots, and a very offensive odour came from them. The sores were about 6 inches across and a man could put the whole of his hand in the openings. He is buried in Plot 47, Section D of the Lawlers Cemetery.

Pietro ANDREOLI (more)

Cause of Death: Mining Accident - broken back

The deceased was one of three men who were killed in a fall of a cage down a mine shaft at Waroonga Gold Mine, six miles from Lawlers. The men got onto the cage at one of the lower levels and the signal to hoist was obeyed. It is believed that when the cage was nearing Level 1, one of the men, Pietro Andreoli, leaned too far out and was caught, then pushed into his companions with the result that the other two men, Vincenzo Cattaneo and Owen Owens, were knocked off the cage. The lifeless body of Andreoli was brought to the surface still in the cage but Cattaneo and Owens fell to the bottom of the shaft, a distance of 400-500 feet. Cattaneo and Owens, were hurled from side to side of the shaft in their descent, and were literally smashed to pieces. It was later determined that Andreoli leaned one of his shoulders too far over the side, and was caught either by a cap piece or some other timber of a set, with the result that he was precipitated against his two companions, who were knocked off the cage. Andreoli's body was hanging out of the cage face upwards, and his legs in the cage. He was dead then and was taken to the surface. The verdict of the inquiry was "That Peter Andreoli, Owen Owens, and Vince Cattaneo, on the 3rd day of April, 1907, came to their deaths in the shaft of the Waroonga Gold Mine by Peter Andreoli accidentally striking against a set while the cage was being hoisted, thereby causing Owen Owens and Vince Cattaneo to fall also, they being killed by falling down the shaft and that no blame is attached to anyone. The jury added a rider to the effect that for the safety of men travelling in shafts all cages should hare a guard rail or centre bar. He is buried in Plot 9, Section A of Lawlers Cemetery.

Alfred ANDREWS (more)

Cause of Death: Suicide by Explosion

Possibly also known as Frank Andrews, who was employed on the Waroonga Gold Mine when he blew his head off on 11 July with a plug of dynamite. He was found in his camp on 12 July by Mr. May H. Smith. There was no evidence to show any reason for such an act. There is no proof that this Frank Andrews is indeed the Alfred Andrews listed in this file.

Joseph Henry BAKER (more)

Cause of Death: Apoplexy / Paralysis

Deceased spent 42 years in South Australia before moving to Western Australia. Shortly after their marriage, Mr and Mrs Baker spent two years at Nelshebie Reservoir, and later moved to Franklin Harbour, where Mr. Baker allied farming with his trade of blacksmith and wheelwright. The couple had nine children, registered in Clare, Frome and Flinders districts in South Australia, with 7 surviving. His widow died at Streaky Bay, South Australia, in 1942, aged 87 years. Three of their children survived her and two sons were killed in the First World War. Mr. Baker had, for some time prior to his death, been in poor health. After suffering a stroke, we was conveyed to Lawlers Hospital where he lingered on in a semi-conscious condition until his death. He was one of the old identities of the district. The burial record of Joseph Henry Baker has death caused by heart disease. He is buried in Plot 18, Section B at Lawlers Cemetery.

Olive Vivien BARRATT (more)

Cause of Death: Chronic Indigestion, Marasmus

The child's parents were married in Perth 1898 and at least 3 other children were born to the couple before Olive's birth, including Irene Phyllis, born 1899, Raymond Digby, born 1901 (died 1921), and Constance Beatrice, born 1903. Olive is buried in Plot 01, Section E, Church of England, of the Lawlers Cemetery.

Stefano BASIOLI (more)

Cause of Death: Heart Failure

The body of the deceased man was found in his camp about six miles from the Vivien township on Friday 10 May and identified by his son, Giovanni. Antonio J J. Triado, medical practitioner at Lawlers, conducted a post mortem of the body and concluded that he had died of a heart condition and Brights Disease of the kidneys, altogether due to natural causes. He is buried in Plot 15, Section D, Church of England, of the Lawlers Cemetery.

James BOHL (more)

Cause of Death: Typhoid Fever

Deceased was buried in Plot 05, Section C, in the east front row.

Sidney Herbert BORLEY (more)

Cause of Death: Typhoid Fever

The deceased was admitted to the hospital some five weeks previously. He had been working on the Yellow Aster Gold Mine, Kathleen Valley before moving to Corktree about two months prior to his death. Feeling unwell, he moved to Lawlers and was confined to camp there before being brought to the local hospital. He made slight improvement until a relapse led to his demise on Monday 11 January. His brother, Dan, was a resident of Kookynie and spent three weeks with the deceased prior to his death. The deceased is buried in Plot 04, Section B, Anglican portion of the Lawlers Cemetery.

Samuel Selley BOUNSELL (more)

Cause of Death: Exposure due to alcohol

Mr Bounsell died about 20 May 1907. His body was discovered about 23 May in a state of decomposition. He had evidently been dead for several days. A post mortem examination revealed that death was caused by shock, due to exposure, following alcoholic excess. The body of the unfortunate man was identified as that of Samuel Bounsell, a miner, who had been working in the district for some months. He was well known in the Coolgardie district. He is buried in Plot 12, Section D of the Lawlers Cemetery. Samuel's parents were both born and married in England. The marriage produced 7 children: 4 girls and 3 boys, of whom Samuel was the third eldest child. The four siblings who followed him were all born in New South Wales.

David John BOYD (more)

Cause of Death: Asthenia

The little boy's parents, Ellen Margaret Foley and David Boyd, were married in 1902 in Perth. David John was their firstborn child.  Grace Margaret was their second child, born 1905, Goulburn, New South Wales (Birth Registration 13220/1905, Goulbourn), followed by Francis born 1907; Veronica Mary born 1909; Austin born 1911. 

Sadly, Grace Margaret died 11 April 1908 (Death Registration 4300024/1908, Mt Margaret).  She was just 3 years of age and is buried in the Roman Catholic portion of the Leonora Cemetery, plot number 54..  Her story also appears in this website.   

Ellen was born in New South Wales in 1873 and died there in 1958. Her husband was born in 1973 in South Australia and he died in Nowra, New South Wales in 1911.

The child is buried in Plot 15, Section A, Roman Catholic section of Lawlers Cemetery.


Joseph BROMILEY (more)

Cause of Death: Dysentery

Bromiley was buried in Plot 17, Section C, 2nd row of the cemetery.

William BROWN (more)

Cause of Death: Mitral Incompetency

It is not known how long the deceased suffered from a heart condition. Mr Brown was buried in Plot 45, Section C, 7th row west

Theophilus BURNAND (more)

Cause of Death: Chronic Interstitial Nephritis

Mr Burnand was buried in Plot 31, Section C, in the 4th row west.

John Richard BURROWS (more)

Cause of Death: Heart Failure - Coach Accident

The deceased died as a result of a coach accident at Poison Creek, between Leonora and Lawlers, about 15 November. Burrows, the driver, was thrown from his seat and run over by two of the wheels of the coach, breaking four of his ribs. Two passengers on the coach were also injured. Apparently, near Doyle's Well, the wheels of the coach fired and another coach, which had been cut down and in use for carting fencing material to Cobb & Co's station, was brought into service to carry the mail and passengers. The load evidently proved too much for the old vehicle as when they got within 4½ miles of Poison Creek, the front portion, with the box seat and its occupants, the driver and two male passengers, parted from the body of the coach and fell forward onto the horses. Burrows was thrown under the wheels and run over. One male passenger fell clear, whilst the other was thrown onto the road between the two horses in the pole but was not run over as the vehicle passed over him. The four horses instantly bolted along the road at a terrific pace with the five remaining passengers, two of whom were ladies. Some were thrown out whilst others jumped from the vehicle. One of the lady passengers sustained a sprained ankle and bruises, whilst the other four who were riding in the body of the coach escaped unhurt. After galloping about half a mile, the horses were brought to a standstill when one of the polers fell and broke its neck. Burrows was found lying on the road unconscious and it was thought he had been fatally injured. A messenger was sent in to Poison Creek Hotel to report the accident and a vehicle was sent to bring the passengers on to the hotel. Burrows' injuries were considered too serious for him to be taken on to Lawlers, and the doctor and hospital nurse were brought out as soon as possible to attend him. It was found that several of his ribs had been crushed and his lung had been penetrated by the broken bones. Although he rallied considerably, Burrows died at the Poison Creek Hotel on 25th November. Employed by Cobb and Co for a very long period, he was held in high esteem both in New South Wales and Western Australia. Burrows was buried in Plot 03, Section B, north-east corner of the cemetery.