The deceased was buried by Charles Harris where he was found, about 9 miles from Goongarrie on the Old Goongarrie-Niagara Road. A witness at the burial was ED O'Brien. The informant of his death was Police Constable Charles Harris (Regimental No 206), of Menzies. He was an employee of H. Nelson, contractor for the Niagara tank. Police Constable Harris proceeded from Goongarrie to bury the remains of the unfortunate man, who had perished on the road the previous day. He was accompanied by James Pollock McCrae of the Public Works Department, who took him to where the man was lying, about 10 miles from Goongarrie.
From the habiliments of the deceased, it was evident that he had been a labouring man. No papers were found on him or anything that would lead to his identification. He had a sum of money amounting to thirteen pounds, six shillings and seven pence, a Waterbury watch and steel chain. The constable dug a grave by the wayside and buried the body, it being nearly midnight before he finished his work. Constable Harris returned to Menzies on 8 November 1897.