The grave had a wooden fence made of trimmed gum timber, all the timber having been trimmed with an axe. The cross at the head of the grave in 1940 was in pieces. There was an inscription on the cross and all the lettering and figures were cut by hand.
Witnesses present at the burial were Edward Nolan and TF Ritchie. His death was certified in writing by GR Milbank, hotel keeper, Pendinnie.
It is believed the deceased had been ill with typhoid fever for six weeks prior to his death. Mr McCormack was amongst the old pioneers of the district, and spent most of his time prospecting - without success. Latterly, he worked at the Triumph Mine, where he took ill. He was then removed to his camp on the Shannon Lease at Eucalyptus, where William McCormack, his namesake, devoted his time, day and night, to ameliorate his sufferings. But an old complaint of the lungs banished all hopes of recovery.
The deceased had two brothers and a sister on the fields, who were unaware of his illness. His brother, PJ McCormack, on hearing the news the day previous to his death, rode from Coolgardie, a distance of 185 miles, and was only in time to see his departed brother's faithful friend erecting a suitable epitaph and fence to perpetuate the memory of their old companion. A memorial fund was being raised to support his wife and six young children, who were residing in Rochester, Victoria, at the time of his death.